Monday 7 October 2013

Nutella Snails















I'd tell you I made these for the kids, but I don't think you'd believe me.


Nutella Snails
adapted from Belinda Jeffery's Mix & Bake
Makes 10

300g self-raising flour
pinch fine sea salt
1 tablespoon caster sugar
75g unsalted butter, cut into small chunks
180-250ml milk
Egg wash: 1 egg yolk, whisked with 2 teaspoons of milk
1/2 cup Nutella
icing sugar for sprinkling

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.

Put the flour, salt and sugar into the bowl of a food processor and process to combine and get rid of any lumps. Add the butter and blitz until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Tip this mixture into a large mixing bowl. Pour in the milk and lightly mix with a butter knife. Add enough milk to give you a soft dough. You may need more or less milk, depending on the flour, humidity... the way you hold your mouth when mixing (kidding).

Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface and knead briefly until the dough is smooth. The less you handle this dough the better, so a few gentle kneads should do it.

Roll the dough out into a rectangle about 30cm x 20cm. Spead the Nutella evenly over the surface of the dough and with the long side nearest you, roll the dough up. Using a lightly floured knife, cut the roll into 10 even portions.

Place the snails, cut side-down on the prepared baking tray, leaving a gap between them to allow them to puff up and spread.

Brush the snails with egg-wash and bake for 15-20 minutes or until light golden (mine are a deep golden colour because I use home grown eggs from my free-range hens that have very yellow/orange yolks).

When the scones are ready, take them out of the oven and dust them with icing sugar. Serve warm.

12 comments:

  1. If you posted a photo with milk maybe it would make the scene more credible. Kidding. These looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would like one of these for breakfast right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like heaven in the form of a swirl. I could eat about a dozen....add a cup of strong coffee and I'd be one happy girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You, me, a pot of strong coffee and a plate of these... let's do it.

      Delete
  4. Fantastic looking! And if my kids got a hold of these I'm afraid they would want them every day from now till eternity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha Dan. Boys will be boys... and we should know.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing!
    I'm going to try these for my birthday next week. I'm not so much into Nutella, maybe I'll take dark chocolate spread...*yummy*
    Cheers
    Frau Nilsson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any of your favourite spreads would be great here... jam, dulce de leche, cookie butter... but dark chocolate would be my choice too. Enjoy and Happy Birthday for next week.

      Delete
  6. Good gracious. Love this and need these pronto!

    ReplyDelete